Newton, IA


How do I contact a City department?

Visit the Staff Directory to find all department and staff contact information.

Do I need a permit to sell door to door?

Yes, anyone going door to door will need to complete a Peddler's Permit.

How do I apply for a job with the City of Newton?

All available jobs with the City of Newton are listed under "I Want To > Apply For > Employment Opportunities" or by clicking the "Employment" link in the middle of the website home page. The City of Newton no longer accepts paper applications. All applications must be submitted online through the City's website. Apply by clicking on the job title you are interested in and then clicking on the "Apply Now" link. If it is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume and any other required attachments from a saved document file on your computer and complete and submit the application. Your resume may be saved and used to apply for future job openings.

Where do I register to vote?

Voter registration may be completed in the Auditor’s office located in the Jasper County Courthouse at 101 1st Street North in Newton, Room 202 (2nd floor). More information on voting and elections can be found by viewing the Jasper County Auditor’s election website.

How do I vote absentee?

Absentee ballots are available through the Jasper County Auditor’s office. Call 641-792-7016 or visit the Jasper County elections website for more information.

Click here for the Absentee Ballot Request Form.

How do I find my precinct/polling place?

Precinct/Polling locations may be found on the Iowa Secretary of State website by entering your 5-digit zip code and address. Click here to find your Precinct/Polling Place on the Secretary of State’s website. You can click here to view the most recent voting locations from the Jasper County Auditor’s office.

How can I get information about my property or real estate taxes?

For information about Jasper County property and real estate taxes contact the Jasper County Treasurer's Office at 641-792-7731. You can view the information online by clicking here.

Where can I get information about my Federal income taxes?

Information about filing and submitting Federal income taxes is available through the Internal Revenue Service. Click here to visit their website.

Where can I get information about my State of Iowa income taxes?

Information about filing and submitting your State of Iowa income tax is available through the Iowa Department of Revenue's website. Click here to visit their website.

Where can I find information about City services?

We are happy to help you get all the information you need. If you can’t locate the answers in our website, please call City Hall at 641-792-2787.

When is trash pickup?

Weekly garbage and recycling collection is provided by Dodd's Trash Hauling & Recycling Monday through Friday.

Recycling should be placed at the curb between 1 p.m. and 9 p.m. prior to the scheduled collection day. Trash shall be placed at the curb after 6 p.m. on the day prior to regularly scheduled trash collection and no later than 5 a.m. on your collection day. The container shall be promptly removed from the curb following collection.

What type of events should I submit to the Community Calendar?

Community organizations are welcome to submit events to the City of Newton's Community Calendar. The City encourages the submission of events which cater to the whole community such as pancake breakfasts, free concerts, ribbon cuttings and so on. The Community Calendar is not intended to promote private programming or sales initiatives or to support a political party or candidate. The City has the right to decline any calendar submissions.