Citizens within Newton city limits may discharge fireworks on:
- July 4 from 8 P.M. to 11 P.M.
Other requirements for firework use in city limits include:
- Fireworks can be no greater than one inch in diameter or exceed a total of 250 grams of powder for cake fireworks
- A person must be 18 years or older to purchase consumer fireworks
- No person under the age of 18 is allowed to discharge a DOT 1.4 class consumer firework without parental supervision.
- A person can only discharge a consumer firework on real property they own or on the property where consent has been given.
- Consumer fireworks cannot be discharged by anyone showing visible signs of, or determined to be, intoxicated or under the influence of a drug or narcotic.
- Any person discharging a consumer fireworks device assumes all responsibility for its operation and the consequences thereof.
- No person shall discharge a consumer fireworks device in a reckless manner or manner likely to cause death, injury, fire, or property damage.
- Fireworks may not be altered, removed or discharged from its intended method.
- Sky lantern open flame devices are not permitted to be released within the city limits, except if tethered by a retrievable rope so long as the person discharging has control over the sky lantern.
If a person violates the regulations, they would be guilty of a simple misdemeanor which is punishable by a fine of no less than $250. If you are found to be a person or responsible party, who violates the restrictions in Chapter 135 of the City of Newton, Iowa Code you may be guilty of a municipal infraction and subject to a civil penalty of $250.00 for each offense.