As a public service, the Newton Public Library offers free proctored exams for library cardholders. Students interested in having their exam proctored at the library should complete the Student Registration Form online or complete the paper form linked below to schedule an appointment. The library may refuse to proctor an exam if the institution/instructor requirements cannot be reasonably met by library staff or resources. Please note, students must schedule their appointment a minimum of one week prior to the desired exam date.
Due to staff time constraints and the need to serve all library patrons, the following policies are required.
- Proctoring service is available to Newton Public Library cardholders. An active library card and photo ID are required for every exam.
- Students must contact the Public Services Librarian for permission to take a test at the library well in advance of the test deadline. Students will complete the proctored exam registration form and agree to the proctoring guidelines prior to taking their first exam.
- An appointment must be made with the Public Services Librarian prior to taking each exam. Appointments must be made no less than one week in advance. Exams will be administered during regular library hours and students should plan on completing exams a minimum of 30 minutes prior to the library closing. The library reserves the right to refuse to proctor an exam if the Public Services Librarian is unavailable or if an appointment has not been made at least seven days in advance.
- The student is responsible for all postage fees associated with mailed exams. The library will transport mailed exams to the post office or the approved shipping company within 24 hours of the exam completion, during regular weekday hours. If an exam is taken on a Friday or Saturday, the exam will be mailed by the end of the following Monday. Students are responsible for ensuring exams are completed far enough in advance to accommodate mailing time and instructor due dates. The library is not responsible for postal service delays or items misplaced/damaged in the mail.
- Students using library computers are responsible for confirming that the computers are adequate for their exam requirements.
- Library staff proctor exams from the Reference Desk; the librarian observes the student while performing other tasks and assisting other patrons. If your institution requires that the student receives constant, uninterrupted observation, the Newton Public Library cannot proctor your exam.
- The library may refuse to proctor an exam if the institution/instructor requirements cannot be reasonably met by library staff or resources.
For more information, contact:
Public Services Librarian
Students with recurring exams may choose to utilize the Remind App to schedule future proctoring appointments via text message. Instructions for connecting to the service are linked below. New students are still required to call or email the Public Services Librarian and complete the student registration form before they schedule their first exam.