FrankFest is a fundraising event for the City of Newton parks & recreation activities that the Community Services Department hosts throughout the year. With three different events - the One Mile Doggie Dash, the Thanks with Franks Hot Dog Contest and the Strut Your Mutt Dog Show - there is something for everyone!
Paws and Claws Iowa will be on site with a few adaptable animals and tons of information on how you can help area animals in need. Stop by their tent and maybe pick up new family member or see how you can help!
Parkview Animal Hospital and Lucy’s Pet Pantry are teaming up to offer a greatly reduced price microchip clinic. Bring your pets to their booth and for a small $20 fee you can have your pet microchipped on-site and get a lifetime registration for the microchip. Lucy’s Pet Pantry will also be accepting donations of large bags of Cat and Dog food, and cat litter, or whatever means of support for pets that anyone can offer. Applications will also be available to fill out for assistance from the Pantry.
Earthwise Pet Supply and Grooming will be on site to show you all the ways their pet store can help you spoil your furry family members. Stop by and see what services they have to offer your pet and set up that next spa day for the furbaby!
Hy Vee – A big thank you to Hy Vee for partnering with us and supplying the hot dogs for the Thanks with Franks portion of the event.
Fareway – A big thank you Fareway for partnering with us and supplying 3000 hot dog buns for our Thanks with Franks event.
Below is a schedule of events:
5:30 PM | One Mile Doggie Dash
This fun run is for the athletic ... and not so athletic! Run, walk, or crawl your way with your dog through the one mile route inside Maytag Park. There is a $10 entry fee, humans will get a t-shirt, prizes will go to the dogs! No worries if you finish last... there are prizes for everyone!
Want to register?
Download a registration form to complete and return to the Community Services Department . We will also be taking registrations the day of this event beginning at 5:00 pm.
6 PM | Thanks with Franks Hot Dog Contest
Businesses and groups will compete to make the most creative hot dog! There will be one Overall Hot Dog Winner voted on by a panel of selected judges and a People's Choice Winner that will be voted on the public.
The event will take place at the Kiwanis Shelter loop at Maytag Park (east side of the park).
The public can enjoy hot dogs but tickets are required for the event. You can get tickets the day of the event- a $5 free will donation will get you five tickets. But wait, there's more - if you shop in the Newton Main Street district prior to the event you can get extra tickets with your purchase, click here to see a list of retailers.
Thank you to Hy-Vee for donating the hot dogs for FrankFest's Thanks with Franks Event!
Are you a business or group interested in participating?
$100 entry fee gets you a spot!
- The entry fee for a business/organization to participate is $100; each booth with 150 hotdogs, buns, trays, glove and space at Maytag Park, the rest is up to you! Be creative with toppings and style – but do make them edible!
- Booths will be located around the Kiwanis Loop at Maytag Park and drinks will be available for purchase; there is limited electricity available in Maytag Park, so a generator is recommended.
- Judging for the “Overall Hot Dog” will be voted on by a panel of selected judges and a People’s Choice Winner will be voted by the public in attendance.
- Set up begins on Thursday, September 16 at 4:30 PM and the event will begin at 6 PM.
- SERVING WILL BEGIN AT 6 PM. IF YOU SERVE PRIOR TO 6 PM YOU WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIED FROM WINNING!
Download a registration form to complete and return to the Community Services Department.
6:30 PM | Strut Your Mutt Dog Show
The Strut Your Mutt Dog Show, hosted by Progress Industries, will take place at Maytag Bowl. Bring your favorite furry friend out and let them strut their stuff on the big stage. There's no need to have a long line of pedigree here - the show is for everyone!
Want to participate with your dog?
There is a $10 entry fee with proceeds going to Progress Industries.
Prizes will be given for Overall Best in Show, Best Dressed and Best Trick.
- All participants will receive a bag of Progress Industries home baked dog treats.
- Category winners will receive a 6-month supply of homemade doggie treats that will be fresh-baked and delivered/mailed each month (auto-deliver or ship).
A copy of current vaccine records is required.
Click here to download a copy of the registration form. Make checks payable to: P.I. Foundation and mail registration form, vaccination record and payment to:
Attn: Melissa Butler
202 N. 3rd Ave. E.
Newton, Iowa 50208