Click to Home
Go To Search
About Newton
ABOUT NEWTON
Newton encompasses 9.6 square miles. Newton is bisected by Interstate 80, U.S. Highway 6, and State Highway 14. Newton offers a wide range of attractions. It’s central Iowa location makes it a natural “home base” for visiting the many points of interest within approximately a one-hour drive.

EARLY HISTORY OF NEWTON, IOWA
Established in 1846 as Newton City and in 1847 the name was changed to Newton.  Ten years later Newton was incorporated. It is commonly held that Newton was named after a Sergeant Newton, a member of General Marion's Army and a close friend of Sergeant Jasper. During the American Revolution the two were often together in deeds of daring such as those which made each man in Marion's band a hero. A dissenting view is held by a Newton family residing in California, who contend their grandfather founded Newton. Their claim is that Joseph Kaiser Newton migrated to the area from West Virginia. In May of 1846, Thomas Anderson located the county seat of Jasper County, Iowa. He set up a pole on the present site of Newton.  On August 17, 1846, the sale of lots began. The highest price was $37.00 and the cheapest was $5.00. Twenty-nine blocks of eight lots each were placed up for sale.

The Newton Library Association was organized in 1859 and numbered 132 volumes. Hazel Dell Academy, a private school, was organized in 1856 and operated for a number of years. Taxes were levied to pay for county services, four mills, for the schools one-half mill. The first independent school district was established in the spring of 1863. On May 25, 1864, the school board contracted for two schoolhouses to be built at a huge cost of $1,480.  During 1856 and 1857 converts to the Mormon religion streamed through Newton on their trek westward. Churches were an important part of Newton's early development and these churches were organized in the following years:
Methodist Church in 1848 Baptist Church in 1852 Presbyterian Church in 1854 Christian Church in 1865 First Universalist Church in 1865 Catholic Church in 1866 St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in 1867 Lutheran Church in 1870.
 
In February 1874 the YMCA was formed. During the period from 1897 to 1919, seven miles of hard-surface roads were constructed. The first Fire Department was organized in 1874, the first Police Department in 1899 and the first City Hall was built in 1911.

Over the years Newton has been home to cigar factories, manufacturing of patent medicines and ant poison, the center of advertising specialty companies, manufacturing of farm equipment and home appliances becoming known as Washing Machine Capital of the World and was home to a Fortune "500" Company - the Maytag Corporation.

An interesting story concerns the financial crash of 1929. Many banks were experiencing an unprecedented run on their assets. It was reported that F. L. Maytag took the train to Chicago, came back with a suitcase full of money, opened it in the lobby of the Jasper County Bank and offered customers their accounts in cash. It was reassuring enough that the bank survived the crises. A memorable event in 1938 was the three-month strike of the Maytag Company. It pitted family member against family member. It was economically devastating.  The National Guard troops, machine guns mounted near the factory and their encampments practically in our backyard was impressive. These were very trying times.