Citizen's Police Academy Alumni Association
The Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association exists to assist the Newton Police Department with its overall mission. The Alumni Association supports the Police Department by volunteering and fostering the belief that the preservation of public welfare is the duty of every citizen. As a citizens group, the Alumni Association offers a helping hand to the Newton community to improve the quality of life by developing and coordinating various projects that are meaningful and rewarding experiences for our community. The Newton Police Department provides the Citizen Police Alumni Association with education in law enforcement and community concerns.
The Newton Police Department began exploring the establishment of a Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association in August 1998. Since that time, a steering committee formed the Constitution and By Laws for the Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association of Newton. The first meeting of the Alumni Association was held on April 22, 1999.
The Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association of Newton exists to assist the Newton Police Department in its overall mission. The department will provide this organization with education in law enforcement issues and community concerns. The Newton Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association supports the police department by volunteering and fostering the belief that preservation of public welfare is the duty of every citizen. As a citizen group, we will offer a helping hand to our community to improve our quality of life. We will develop and coordinate various projects that are meaningful, rewarding experiences for our community.
Full membership is only available to those who have completed the Citizen Police Academy as provided by the Newton Police Department. Members must be interested in the mission of the Citizen Police Academy alumni Association of Newton. No person shall be denied membership in this association because of race, sex, religion or ethnic background. Only full members shall be eligible to vote on association business or hold office. Honorary or associate members shall be selected by the board and accepted by members voting at the quarterly meetings. These members are non voting and may not hold office. Since this is a participation driven organization, all members are expected to participate and to attend meetings and functions. All members and officers will serve on a voluntary basis.
Except as otherwise provided, membership dues in this association require payment of annual dues of ten dollars ($10.00). Dues are payable at or before the meeting of the members qualifying membership year. Members not paying by the set time shall be dropped from the membership roll. Click here for a membership application.
The elected offices of the Citizen Police Academy Alumni association of Newton are as follows:
- President: Diane Birchard
- Vice-President: Lori Samson
- Recording Secretary: Fran Henderson
- Treasurer: Gary Haynes
- Membership: Carl and Jane Repp
Non-elected officers are Registered Agent and Past Presidents.
The annual elections of officers shall be held at the January meeting. The vote being taken on the names of candidates presented by the nominating committee, plus any names nominated from the floor. Elected officers shall assume their duties July 1st of each year.
The term of said officers shall be for one year. No officer may succeed them in elected office more than once. If an officer leaves office during their term, their replacement shall be appointed by the board, and approved by the membership.
The governing body of this association shall be a board consisting of the elected officers. The board shall have control, direction and general management of the affairs, business and funds of this association.
The Alumni Association shall hold meetings twice a year. Members shall have a reasonable notice of said meetings. Special meetings of the members may be called by the President or the Secretary, upon reasonable notice to the board members.
CPA ALUMNI PARTICIPATION:
- Assisting with Police Week (May 1999) (May 2001)
- Delivering 1999 Community Attitude Surveys (September 1999)
- Participation in the City of Newton Citizen Budget Forum (October 1999) (October 2000)
- Assisting with 7th Annual Senior Health and Fitness Day (May 2000)
- Tour of Prison Facility, south of Newton (July 2000)
- Assisting with traffic control during RAGBRAI (July 2000) (July 2006)
- Assisting with Volunteer Fair (September 2000)
- Assisting with Car Seat Safety Check (November 2000)
- Assisting with seat belt surveys (February 2001)
- Serving as "hosts" for Session 8 Citizen Police Academy class
- Assisting with funding for future Citizen Police Academy classes
- Assisting with Farm and City night (August 2002)
- Assisting SAFE Coalition with Mock Accident during the 2003/2004 school year
- Bake Sale Fundraiser (July 2005)
- Volunteering for clerical work at the Police Department
- Assisting by providing meals for Citizen Police Academy classes for sessions 12 and 13
- Assisting with reminder phone calls to citizens regarding Dog and Cat licenses (February 2006)