All DOGS and CATS over 6 months old must be licensed annually by March 31 of each year. To purchase a license, bring the following to the Newton Police Department:
- $15 (cash or check only) for neutered/spayed pets OR $25 for unaltered pets
- Receipt from veterinarian showing the pet is current on its rabies vaccination
All MINIATURE PIGS must be licensed annually by March 31 of each year. To purchase a license, bring the following to the Newton Police Department:
- $15 (cash or check only)
- Receipt from veterinarian showing the pig is up-to-date on vaccinations for pseudorabies and brucellosis
- Receipt from veterinarian showing pig is spayed/neutered, not taller than 24 inches at the shoulder and weighs less than 80 pounds
** A $20 late fee will be assessed to pets licensed after March 31 of each year.
See City Code section 13.0313 for additional information.
Dogs and Miniature Pigs OFF Premises of Owner:
- Must be on a leash, cord or chain not more than 6 feet long and under control of a person able to control the animal
- Confined within a motor vehicle
Dogs and Miniature Pigs ON Premises of Owner:
- Must be accompanied by and obedient to the commands of the owner or person given such charge
- Confined to owner’s premises by an adequate protective fence OR by a leash, cord or chain that does not allow the animal to go beyond the owner’s real property line
Cats are allowed to be unrestrained at any time within the city, unless the cat is causing damage or interfering with the property of another.
See City Code section 13.0303 for additional information.
- Pets are not allowed to defecate on public property, public right-of-way or the property of another
- Pets are not allowed to bark or make any loud or unusual noises during times which the owner knows or should expect the noise would disturb neighbors
Residents found in violation of city requirements are subject to a fine, and pets that are unlicensed or at large are subject to impoundment at the Jasper County Animal Rescue League.
* City residents may own no more than 1 miniature pig.
** City residents are not allowed to keep, shelter or harbor as a pet any dangerous animal, i.e. venomous snakes, wolves, foxes, bobcats, badgers, raccoons, snapping turtles, bats, rats (except white rats). See City Code section 13.0302.3 for more information.